- A novel biomarker with the potential to improve the lives of millions of UC patients world-wide
About the technology
Ulcerative Colitis is a chronic autoimmune disorder of the colon characterized by alternating periods of remission and relapse. Disease flares occur in a random way and are currently unpredictable.
Our novel prognostic biomarker can identify patients with a high risk of relapsing, enabling clinicians to escalate treatment before the onset of symptoms and keep patients in remission (figure below). The test is based on mucosal samples from the colon, which might sounds challenging at first. However, endoscopy represent that mainstay evaluating the disease activity, meaning the test can be incorporated without need for additional endoscopies.
2.7 million people are carrying a UC diagnosis in Europe and US. According to the European Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation (ECCO), about 48% of the prevalence is in remission during a typical year, representing a substantial market potential for our test
Currently there is no biomarkers on the market which can predict relapse in UC patients hence our biomarker is targeting an unmet clinical need.
- Fewer relapses
- More well managed disease and quality of life
- Hospital bedtime reductions, examinations, tests, etc
- Reduce need of proctocolectomies
More about the test
- Molecular – measuring expression ratio between two cytokines (qRT-PCR)
- Based on mucosal samples from the colon sampled during routine endoscopies
- Patent pending (2021)
- Invention originates from the University hospital of North Norway
Les om andre prosjekter:
Motivating continous Sharing of Physical activity using non-Intrusive Data Extraction methods Retro- and prospectively About the technology Data collection of physical data …
– A novel decision support aid tool (DST) for optimal levothyroxine dosage after thyroidectomy About the technology Levothyroxine is a necessary synthetic …
About the technology New and advanced label-free and super resolution microscopes and nanoscopes have emerged, and their characterization is becoming more demanding. …
– Bringing nanofluidic technology to the people About the technology The Nanospacer is a specially designed microscope coverslip that allows nanoscale particle …
A tool that predicts ice amount and distribution on marine structures About the technology Due to climate changes the Arctic marine territories …